Am I a Candidate?
After exploring the options, the next question is often, “Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?” Metabolic and bariatric surgery is a life-changing procedure that can help eliminate or reduce serious health problems associated with severe obesity, while significantly increasing your quality of life. However, metabolic or bariatric surgery is a major operation, and not everyone is a candidate. Your surgeon will be able to advise you on whether you are a candidate. In the meantime, the criteria below will provide some guidance on qualifying for a metabolic/bariatric surgery.
Candidates for metabolic/bariatric surgery typically exhibit one or more of the following characteristics:
- Are 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight
- Exhibit a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater
- Exhibit a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or greater with one or more obesity-related health condition. (Calculate your BMI - see below)
- Have been unsuccessful in previous attempts to lose weight under a medically supervised weight reduction program
- Are above the age of 20
- Suffer from life-threatening conditions (type II diabetes, sleep apnea, heart disease, etc.) caused by obesity
Ask yourself, “Am I a candidate for weight-loss surgery?” If you exhibit one or more of the above characteristics, then you may be a candidate. Complete our complimentary online assessment-and give us a call at 1.800.260.0663 or visit our Contact Us page to schedule an appointment.