Steps for Success
At Clovis Community Medical Center we are committed to your success. We will be assisting you through every step of your weight-loss journey. If you’re seriously considering metabolic or bariatric surgery, you’ve already made an important choice to regain your health, improve your quality of life and start living the life you’ve always dreamed of. Now, let us help guide you down the path.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take to begin your journey:
- Step 1: Seminar – Attend one of our free seminars. Learn as much as you can about metabolic / bariatric surgery. Find out what options are available, the risks and benefits, the long-term effects, and the necessary lifestyle changes that must be made for maintaining a healthy weight after weight loss surgery.
- Step 2: Consultation –Are you a candidate for metabolic / bariatric surgery? Is it right for you? Make a consultation appointment with one of our bariatric surgeons. This will be the time to have an in-depth conversation about which surgical option may be best for you.
- Step 3: Medical Clearances – Your insurance will have specific requirements that you must complete prior to your surgery. You may need to complete a three to six month supervised medical weight-loss program. You will need a nutritional evaluation from a Registered Dietitian and psychological evaluation from a Psychologist specializing in bariatric surgery clearance. Additionally, you must obtain clearance from your primary care physician and in some cases additional testing or consultation from a cardiologist or endocrinologist. Our staff will help you determine your pre-surgery requirements and will assist you every step of the way.
- Step 4: Surgery – A few days before surgery your pre-operative information will be gathered in person or over the phone in a pre-registration process. On the day of surgery you will arrive one hour before your surgery time. You will complete consent forms and prepare for surgery. For gastric band patients, you will go home the same day. For our gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy patients, you will be moved to the Medical/Surgical unit specializing in bariatric surgery. Your family and friends are encouraged to visit you during your stay.
- Step 5: Aftercare – You will be encouraged by the nursing staff to be up and moving about as much as possible. We have prepared for you a low/sugar-free diet while you are our guest. If you have any questions about diet and exercise once you are home, feel free to give us a call. During your stay, you will receive visits from our Registered Dietitian, Physical Therapist, and Bariatric Team to provide you additional information on diet, exercise, a successful post-operative experience. Upon discharge from the hospital, you will be given specific instructions for what to do once you are home. The Metabolic/Bariatric Surgery Patient Resource Guide has been created for you and will be provided as reading material during your stay. Follow-up visits with your surgeon as well as regular support group attendance will be key to your weight-loss surgery success and ensure a safe and effective recovery.